Assisted Living Facilities (ALF)
Assisted living facilities provide individualized health and personal care assistance in a homelike setting with an emphasis on personal dignity, autonomy, independence and privacy. Facilities can be large apartment-like settings or private residences. Services include meals, bathing, dressing, toileting and administering or supervising medication.
Texas licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.
- A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency.
- A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of following directions in an emergency and require nighttime attendance.
The Assisted Living Facility Information brochure (PDF) explains the variety of assisted living facilities available in Texas, who they care for, and the services they provide. Assisted living facilities are regulated under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 247 and Texas Administrative Code(TAC), Title 40, Part I, Chapter 92.
Assisted Living Facility Directory
Regulatory Comment Card Survey
News & Alerts
- Adopted TAC Chapter 92 Rules Effective July 21, 2016 (July 28, 2016)
- DADS Proposes Amendments to Chapter 95, Licensing Standards for Medication Aides (July 27, 2016)
- NF, ALF Proposed Rules Meeting Slated for Aug. 8 (July 26, 2016)
- Emergency Preparedness for the Hurricane Season and Other Emergencies (July 15, 2016)
- Tips for Transporting People in Hot Weather (July 13, 2016)
- Previous alerts
- ALF, DAHS Regional Meeting Scheduled for Sept. (Aug. 18, 2016)
- Register by Sept. 23 for Region 11 ALF Provider Meeting in Corpus Christi (Aug. 2, 2016)
- Register now for ALF Provider Meetings in Amarillo and Lubbock in September (July 22, 2016)
- Register Now for Region 4 ALF and DAHS Provider Meeting Aug. 31 in Tyler (July 19, 2016)
|IL 2016-18 PDF||Guidelines for Personal Needs Allowances Note: (Replaces IL 07-15, IL 09-124, IL 12-32)||05/09/2016|
|IL 2016-29 PDF||Fiscal Year 2016 Cutoff Dates for Fee-for-Service Year-end Closeout Processing||08/03/2016|
|PL 2016-29 PDF||Retired ALF Provider Letters||07/20/2016|
|PL 2016-25 PDF||Rule Amendments in Title 40, Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Chapter 19, Nursing Facility Requirements for Licensure and Medicaid Certification; and Chapter 92, Licensing Standards for Assisted Living Facilities||07/18/2016|
|PL 2016-18 PDF||Criminal History, Nurse Aide Registry (NAR), and Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR) Requirements Note: (Replaces PL 15-34 & PL 06-48)||06/20/2016|
|16-34 PDF||Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) Appendix J and Exhibit 355: Removal of Website Links||N/A||08/12/2016|
|16-33 PDF||Protecting Resident Privacy and Prohibiting Mental Abuse Related to Photographs and Audio/Video Recordings by Nursing Home Staff||N/A||08/05/2016|
|16-31 PDF||Mandatory Immediate Imposition of Federal Remedies and Assessment Factors Used to Determine the Seriousness of Deficiencies for Nursing Homes||N/A||07/22/2016|
|16-29 PDF||Adoption of the 2012 edition of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 101 - Life Safety Code (LSC) and 2012 edition of the NFPA 99 - Health Care Facilities Code (HCFC)||N/A||06/20/2016|
|16-28 PDF||Update Report on the National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes||N/A||06/03/2016|
|2016-05 PDF||Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR), Nurse Aide Registry (NAR), and Medication Aide Registry (MAR) Referral Process||06/22/2016|
|2016-04 PDF||Survey Revisit Guidance||06/08/2016|
|2016-02 PDF||Prompt Reporting of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation (ANE)||02/23/2016|
|2016-01 PDF||Nursing Facility Administrator (NFA) License Verification||01/26/2016|
|2015-01 PDF||Complaint and Incident Intake Functions (Replaces S&CC 03-08)||04/12/2015|
|2014-02 PDF||Guidance for Processing Non-Compliance with State Licensure Requirements||05/16/2014|
|2012-04 PDF||CMS Region VI-Dallas Delegation of Notification of the Imposition and Starting Date of Optional Denial of Payment for New Admissions to the State Survey Agencies in Region VI||03/14/2012|
|2012-02 PDF||Procedural Instructions for Processing Certifications Concerning Legal Names and Doing Business as Names of Providers and Suppliers||02/17/2012|
|2012-01 PDF||Voluntary Termination and Related Processes||02/10/2012|
|2010-02 PDF||Documents for Processing Certification Actions for All Non-Long Term Care Providers/Suppliers (except ICFs/MR and Clinical Laboratories)||05/27/2010|
Subscribe to Email Updates
Updated: May 27, 2016