Assisted Living Facilities (ALF)
Assisted living facilities provide individualized health and personal care assistance in a homelike setting with an emphasis on personal dignity, autonomy, independence and privacy. Facilities can be large apartment-like settings or private residences. Services include meals, bathing, dressing, toileting and administering or supervising medication.
Texas licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.
- A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency.
- A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of following directions in an emergency and require nighttime attendance.
The Assisted Living Facility Information brochure (PDF) explains the variety of assisted living facilities available in Texas, who they care for, and the services they provide. Assisted living facilities are regulated under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 247 and Texas Administrative Code(TAC), Title 40, Part I, Chapter 92.
Assisted Living Facility Directory
Regulatory Comment Card Survey
News & Alerts
- Deadline Reminder: Jan. 31, 2016, Last Chance to Submit CMP Funds Application for this Application Period (Jan. 27, 2016)
- CMS Extends Provider Re-enrollment Deadline (Jan. 15, 2016)
- Updated Advance Directives Forms Now Available (Jan. 15, 2016)
- DADS Has Released a Free Online Course Which Teaches How to Support Someone with an IDD Who Has Suffered Trauma (Jan. 11, 2016)
- Still Time to Register for ALF Training in San Antonio (Dec. 16, 2015)
- Previous alerts
- Proposed New Rule and Amendments to 40 TAC Ch. 19, NF Requirements for Licensure and Medicaid Certification, and Ch. 92, Licensing Standards for ALFs (Jan. 15, 2016)
|PL 2015-37 PDF||Revised Disclosure Section of Form 3720-N (NF Application), Form 3720 (ALF,DAHS, and ICF/IID Application) and Form 3736 (Type C ALF Application) Note: (Replaces PL 11-02)||12/31/2015|
|PL 2015-34||Information Related to Review of Criminal History, Nurse Aide Registry (NAR), and Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR) on Facility Job Applicants, Employees, and Volunteers
(Removed on January 15, 2016; Replaces PL 06-48)
|PL 2015-33 PDF||Temporary Method for Verifying Employability of Nurse Aides and Provider Expectations to Satisfy Regulatory Requirements||12/09/2015|
|PL 2015-28 PDF||Receiving Survey Documents Electronically||10/19/2015|
|IL 2015-59 PDF||Claims Submission Using the International Classification of Diseases Tenth Revision (ICD-10), for services provided on or after October 1, 2015||09/23/2015|
|16-06 PDF||Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Infection Control Courses||N/A||01/22/2016|
|16-05 PDF||Infection Control Pilot Project||N/A||12/23/2015|
|16-04 PDF||Focused Dementia Care Survey Tools||N/A||11/27/2015|
|15-52 PDF||Home Health Agency (HHA) Survey Protocol Training Item Revised||N/A||09/11/2015|
|15-51 PDF||Home Health Agencies (HHAs): Change of Address Notification of the Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC)||N/A||08/28/2015|
|2016-01 PDF||Nursing Facility Administrator (NFA) License Verification||01/26/2016|
|2015-01 PDF||Complaint and Incident Intake Functions (Replaces S&CC 03-08)||04/12/2015|
|2014-08 PDF||Locked Units in Assisted Living Facilities without an Alzheimers Certification||11/05/2014|
|2014-06 PDF||Locked Units in Nursing Facilities without an Alzheimers Certification||10/22/2014|
|2014-04 PDF||Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR), Medication Aide Registry (MAR), and Nurse Aide Registry (NAR) Referral Process||08/21/2014|
|2014-02 PDF||Guidance for Processing Non-Compliance with State Licensure Requirements||05/16/2014|
|2012-04 PDF||CMS Region VI-Dallas Delegation of Notification of the Imposition and Starting Date of Optional Denial of Payment for New Admissions to the State Survey Agencies in Region VI||03/14/2012|
|2012-02 PDF||Procedural Instructions for Processing Certifications Concerning Legal Names and Doing Business as Names of Providers and Suppliers||02/17/2012|
|2012-01 PDF||Voluntary Termination and Related Processes||02/10/2012|
|2010-02 PDF||Documents for Processing Certification Actions for All Non-Long Term Care Providers/Suppliers (except ICFs/MR and Clinical Laboratories)||05/27/2010|
Subscribe to Email Updates
Updated: January 20, 2016